- 1 mango, peeled and de-seeded
- 1/2 green apple, peeled and cored, roughly chopped
- 1 spring onion, roughly chopped
- 1 long (mild) red chilli, roughly chopped
- 60 grams Brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 50 grams Malt vinegar (I use brown malt vinegar)
- 250 grams Greek yogurt
- 1/2 brown onion, peeled and halved again
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves (firmly packed)
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves (firmly packed)
- a few shakes of salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- 500 grams beef mince
- 1 egg
- olive oil for shallow frying
- 10 slices multigrain or wholemeal bread
Place mango and apple in the thermomix bowl and chop for 3-4 seconds on speed 4. Scrape down the bowl with spatula. Cook at 90 degrees C for 4 minutes, speed 1.
Add spring onion and chilli and process for 25 seconds, speed 8. Scrape down the sides.
Add brown sugar, ginger and malt vinegar, and cook for 10-12 minutes, at 100 degrees C on speed 1 with the MC tilted on its side.
The result is a smooth mango chutney, which is nice on its own too, but to make the dip I use equal amounts of mango mixture to greek yogurt.
To make 2 cups of dip. Remove the mango mixture from the bowl. Add 250 g greek yogurt and 250 g mango chutney to the thermomix bowl and combine for 10 seconds speed 4. You are likely to have left over mango chutney, which you can use "as is" or make more dip. (You could add cream cheese for a different dip, see my recipe for Mango cream cheese dip)
Rince the thermomix bowl. Add onion, garlic, parsley and coriander to the tmx bowl. Chop for 4 seconds on speed 7. Scrape sides of bowl and repeat if you like onion pieces to be small (as I do).
Add a few shakes of salt and pepper. Add the cumin, paprika, beef mince and an egg. Combine for 10-15 seconds, Reverse speed 3.
Roll the meat mixture in your hands to form "finger" shape koftas about 2x6cm. You can add some bread crumbs if you find it too sticky, but I find it ok the way it is. The mixture makes about 20. Shallow fry in two batches in a little hot olive oil (or bake in the oven) until brown. It takes about 8-10 minutes, turning until cooked all around.
Cut the crust off the bread and cut each piece in half to form two triangles per slice. Wrap one around each kofta, securing with a tooth pick (or a cute little pick/fork from a bento store). Serve with the dip. I hope you (and your kids) enjoy it!
Beef Kofta bug-in-a-rug
Accessories you need
1. Alternatively you can bake these in the oven with a little puff pastry around them to make more conventional bug-in-a-rug
2. For school lunches, put the koftas in a cooler lunch bag or lunchbox with a frozen drink to keep them cool
3. Note: this recipe is for kids so I've limited the salt, as I don't like my little boy having a lot of added salt. Make it to your taste. It needs double the salt and pepper for adults in my opinion, especially if not using the dip.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- portuguese soft/fresh cheese
- Israeli Cous Cous Salad
- Parmesan baked ricotta slice with tomato, olive & basil salad
- Steamed Carrot and Chicken Dumplings
- Beetroot Cured Gravadlax (Salmon)
- Red pepper flans
- Ham croquetas
- Smoked salmon and Watercress Roulade
- MOUSSE OF FOIE GRAS AND GOAT CHEESE WITH CARAMELIZED APPLES
- Prawn Cocktail 'Acapulco' Style
- Seared Scallops, Parsnip Purée and a Pancetta Crumb
- Pa's Sausage Rolls
- Key Lime Pie
- Devilled Eggs
- Buffalo Wings
- Nectarine and Peach Smoothie
- Panna Cottas with Peaches and Thyme Syrup
- Peach and Raspberry Crumble
- Couscous Vegetable Salad
- Salmon Omelette
- Nectarine, Banana and Green Tea Lollies
- Lamb and Paprika Rice
- Lamb Stuffed with Dried Fruit and Nuts
- RAVIOLI WITH SWEET RICOTTA FILLING AND LAMB RAGU
- Chocolate pear cake
- Healthy carrot cake pancakes
- Black Olive Biscuits with cheese filling
- Rhubarb and Ginger Victoria Sandwich
- Lemon Curd Low-carb
- Chawanmushi - Savoury Custard
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Summer Pudding
- Cheese and bacon pastries
- Chocolate Mousse
- Quiche (Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Low FODMAP)
- Dairy free chocolate mousse