- 1 lean silverside, 1 - 2 kgs - to fit comfortably in Varoma Dish
- 1 - 2 onions, whole
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 stick of celery, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 level tablespoon malt vinegar
- 1 level tablespoon Brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- to taste cloves whole
- to taste peppercorns whole
- 1 heaped tablespoon Vegetable Stock Concentrate (EDC)
- 1 litre hot water
- parsley stalks
- 400 g reserved and strained cooking liquid
- 50 grams butter - or nuttelex
- 40 grams plain flour
- 100 grams milk or cream, optional - i leave this out as my daughter is dairy free
- 1- 2 tablespoons Dijon or seeded mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Potatoes, quartered
- carrots, chunks
- pumpkin, chunks
- cauliflower, florets
- broccoli, florets
Place onion, carrot, celery, into Thermomix bowl and chop for 3 seconds speed 5
add bayleaf, brown sugar, vinegar, peppercorns, cloves and parsley stalks, veg stock concentrate and water into Thermomix bowl
place lid into position
Rinse piece of silverside well , under cold water -
Place silverside into varoma dish. Ensure that there is plenty of room around the sides to allow the steam to come through the holdes in the Varoma tray. Please be aware that the meat will swell as it cooks.
Add onion to varoma.
Set varoma temperature - 60 minutes - speed 2
NOTE - Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your silverside . General rule of thumb is to cook for 30 minutes per 500 grams.
I usually cook a piece between 1kg - 1.5kg
After the 60 minutes is up - add more water to Thermomix bowl to refill to the 1L mark. Check that there is still plenty of room for the steam to escape through the holes in the Varoma tray.
Reset Varoma temperature and add extra time as required by the weight of your silverside.
Once set cooking time is finished - add another 20 - 30 minutes on varoma temperature -speed 2
I find adding this extra time helps make the silverside very tender.
Add your prepared vegetables of choice to the varoma dish - placing around silverside (harder vegeatbles at the bottom)
Top up water in bowl if neccesary.
Reset varoma temperature - 30 minutes - spped 2
Once vegetables are cooked - set aside in thermoserver to keep warm
Wrap meat in alfoil to keep extra hot.
Strain the liquid from the thermomix bowl, discarding solids and reserving liquid.
Place butter and flour into thermomix bowl and mix 5 seconds/speed 5
Cook 100 degress - 5 minutes - speed 2
Add 350 grams of reserved liquid -
Cook 100 degress - 7 muinutes - speed 4
Add cream or milk (if using), or a touch more reserved liquid if sauce is too thick, mustard and salt and pepper - and cook 100 degrees - 3 minutes - speed 4
Slice silverside and serve with Vegetables and sauce
Cooking your Silverside
Cooking your Sauce
We love silverside done in the varoma - so much easier than on the stove - as i could never get the heat to be gentle enough.
Our meat is always lovely and tender - but it will depend on your silverside itself.
we either purchase from a reputable local butcher - or have also found the lean Silversides from Coles to be very good also
Recipe can be made in either TM 31 or TM 5
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Easy "Roast" Chicken & Veg
- Chicken Cacciatore
- Thai Chilli Chicken and Basil
- Chicken and Ricotta meatballs
- Paleo Lamb Burgers
- Italian Beef and Sausage Casserole
- Mc Rib Patties
- Best sausage casserole
- Quick Chicken Curry
- Balmoral Chicken, stuffed with Haggis, Root Vegetable Mash and Whisky and Peppercorn Sauce
- Buffalo Wings
- Lamb and Paprika Rice
- Key Lime Pie
- Devilled Eggs
- Buffalo Wings
- Nectarine and Peach Smoothie
- Panna Cottas with Peaches and Thyme Syrup
- Peach and Raspberry Crumble
- Couscous Vegetable Salad
- Salmon Omelette
- Nectarine, Banana and Green Tea Lollies
- Lamb and Paprika Rice
- Lamb Stuffed with Dried Fruit and Nuts
- RAVIOLI WITH SWEET RICOTTA FILLING AND LAMB RAGU